Friday 7 October 2016

Animation Research and Practice - Revised Pitch and Lesson - Week 2

Revised Film Idea Pitch - 

Sound

After last weeks feedback I decided to carry on with the Depression idea and to bring my parents in to record. 

I got my parents to talk about their life and how they felt about depression and at certain points in their lives. My Dad was uncomfortable and is quieter in general but my mum is a very visual person and so was able to describe things clearly. 

After recording 45 minutes of sound I realised that the quality was very poor and although I had a great piece to work with I cannot use it. 


Animations:

I started to look at animations about depressiona and although I liked some of them, I didn't like how alot of the endings to films were happy and like the depression just went in a flash because of something. I do not want this for mine I want it to connect to audience and show that it doesn't just go away you manage to deal with it and can get help.


 I also found a Ted talk and the Andrew Solomon talks about his own experience of depression and how he feels.


Andrew Solomon and his feelings - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eBUcBfkVCo


Style










I started to look at style ideas and dark styles, I like the idea of something messy but not too messy that you cant see what happening. I want to experiment with the different styles.

Feedback -
I showed the voice clip I wanted to use and although eh voice clip was good and emotional, I definitely need to re-record it with Amo's help.

Sam suggested to make sure I wasn't just matching the visual to the sound and that in my animation I use the visuals to adds to the sound not just to copy.

Sam also suggested at looking at Animated minds by Glynn Key


Lesson Sam -

In class we talked about writing synopsis and treatments. We had the task of writing a synopsis for our own projects and then giving them to someone else to write the treatment. 


Initial synopsis - 

A short documentary, which shows the perspective of how a woman, a person with depression, feels. The animation will be a visual response to the audio track, which is a recording of my mother describing how she feels depression is affecting her. 


The treatment written by Bethany - 

1 - Intro - A documentary covering the issue of depression in modern times. 5-10 minute film looking at modern women and the different aspects of their depression, told by the narrator.

2 -  SynopsisA short documentary, which shows the perspective of how a woman, a person with depression, feels. The animation will be a visual response to the audio track, which is a recording of my mother describing how she feels depression is affecting her.

3 - Style and Pacing - The story will be done by live action and then rotoscoping in black and white over the footage of the mother talking. The edit will be sporadic in pace, slowing down for parts, such as when the drowning is happening and fast and almost scratchy for other parts, over the rotoscope. Using dirty lines, scratching at paper, messy looking, almost like the narrator is erasing and redrawing. Basically a cross of live action rotoscope as they both blend together, almost dirty in how it is done to show how unstable and serious the topic is.

4 - Software and Audience - Software will be done initially After Effects as only parts will be rotoscoped. In production TV paint will be used to go over the elements of the video. The audience will be awareness produced for charities to use in seminars.


After doing this task it was nice to see what other people thought and ideas they had on my project. I never would of thought to do rotoscoped and I like the idea and will think about it as a possibility, although if I do consider it, it will only be for part of it as I mainly want to use 2D. 



Is Animation Undervalued - 

We next went on to talk about animation and whether or not it is undervalued, under explored and under questioned. These points are all interesting to look at. Many people that are not in the animation industry do not realise actual how much animation is used in most modern feature films. We next went on to talk about the importance of researching and making sure we are not using words wrong and having something that backs it up, especially in our extended essays.



Homework - 


  • To find an article related to our subject topics, read it and discuss if it is relevant in the next lesson.
  • rewrite the synopsis and treatment now that we know how to write them. 
Links to find the article:

  • Animation studies 2.0
  • Animation studies online journal
  • Society for animation studies 

We were also asked to start to think about finding a computer and space and putting our work up as we do it and to start a production board, to help with time management. As both me and Bethany are creating a final film we have decided to share a board by both of our computers and then just add or change slightly if we need different things. 






Ross Lesson - 

In Ross's lesson we looked at compositing shots and how to do this. We need to think about whats in the shot and what the main focus and how to show this or hint towards something, without giving the audience the full picture. This was interesting to learn and just to keep in mind when creating our pieces.


Below is a link that was posted into our animation club which show the composition in different shot. This was really helpful to see how the shots look and know I know to look out for it. I want to make sure that in my film I use some interesting compositions. 

http://www.iamag.co/features/the-art-of-composition-140-iconic-shots/









Above are just some of the images from the link. It is very cool it see each composite. 



Essay Topic - 

For next week I hope to have a better idea of the essay I would like to write. I know for definite that I want to look into documentary animation, but at the moment that is very broad and I need to narrow it down. I have chosen this as I find it very interesting and since I want to produce a documentary animation as a final film I feel this will link in and as I research I will hopefully be able to improve my own work.

No comments:

Post a Comment