Wednesday 16 November 2016

Animation Research and Practice - Week 8 - Project Progress

This week is Manchester Animation Festival and so this weeks lesson is cancelled as we will be there.

Project Progress - 

After last weeks feedback off Sam I spoke to my mum and got her to watch the animatic and tell me her opinions on it.

My Mum liked the feet part at the beginning at the reaching out for the light, but she also got that it did look too much like what she was saying and so we talked about what she would like to see animated. 

Since she liked the feet part at the beginning we were going to keep that. 

She liked the idea of the bubbles and suggested that when she jumped at the beginning she would jump into a bubble instead. This bubble would then float towards the light or top of the ocean.

A chanin or seaweed would grab onto her and pull her down, where she would have past memories hit her.

These memories would be of:


  • the Army 
  • A wheel chair
  • Someone towering above her
  • A Grave



After getting the feedback off my mum I started to sketch ideas and I sketched on brown paper, adding only lines to represent the water, not colouring the whole thing. They are rough ideas of what could be happening. Below are the sketches I did:






After this I decided I liked the look of the colour on the brown paper and the way it was simple with the lines, but you knew what was happening. I liked that you didn't need the whole colouring of the water to know she was in water and this is something I wanted to have all the way through. Thus I have decided top have a brown paper background for my animation.

From this I hope to create a new storyboard and rough animatic by next week to help give a better feel of what I want my animation to look like, but I feel better that I am going in the right direction of what I want.

Below is Ryan Woodward's Animation - Thought of You



This is a similar style I am going for but why more colour and based in water. I like how it has the drawings on the brown background and can see this working well for my animation.

Another animation that is of similar style to want I want to produce is Nephtali by Glen Keane - I like how there is only objects in the animation when needed and there are not really detailed backgrounds, until it is needed. Which is something I want for my film, the audience will get she is in water but wont necessarily have to have all the colour of the water to get that she is.


Essay - 

Last week we had to hand in our first draft which I have talked about in the previous post. I am waiting on my feedback to carry on with my essay, but I am continuing to read the articles and resources I have collected.

No comments:

Post a Comment