Friday 13 May 2016

Creative Compositing - Final Submission and Presentation

What is it about?

My composite is about a woman who is taking pictures of the St Peter's Church, in Wolverhampton. When she looks through the camera to take a picture, she can see a fantasy world, where the clouds are a different colour. A cartoon gargoyle then appears and fly's around the church. In shock she drops the camera and this brings he back to the normal world.


Inspiration 

As previously mentioned I took inspiration from Guilherme Mercondes as he uses animation on real life footage. He also uses bright colours, for his animation, which went with the idea that I had.

This is the video I got the inspiration from  - http://www.guilherme.tv/caveirao

I also took inspiration from Elton John's - Wonderful Crazy Night Album Advert. In this advert, when he camera looks through the glasses, things start to move and appear. This is where i got the inspiration for looking through the camera, as i thought it would be an interesting way to look at a different world and fantasy creatures.

This is the advert - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntRQBy415M8


Storyboards - 


Nothing has really changed in my storyboards, the only thing that slightly changed, is where the camera drops. In the storyboard it says to zoom out first the drop, but I changed this in my composite to it just dropping as the zoom out looked weird. I also changed the colour of the clouds in th fantasy world, which I have explained below. 


Workflow

Background - I started off by looking for stormy weather videos, where the clouds could be seen moving. I was going to film my own cloud footage but I did not have enough time and when I did have time the clouds were not how I wanted them. 

When it is the fantasy world I changed the curves of the video and made it a purple colour. I did not just want black and white through all of it, I wanted the fantasy world to look different with some things brightly coloured. This also helps to distinguish between the two worlds.

I also adjusted the contrast of the clouds to make them stand out. 

Below is a picture of the purple clouds




Still Image - I chose to take a picture of the St Peter's Church as it looked very old and matched the gargoyle look. I took variety of pictures so I had many from different angles. The picture I orinally used for the tests was not good for the end composite, as it had a tree in it that made the church look weird so I chose another image I had already taken. Which I put into Photoshop to remove the background and then imported it into the composite. I used the same photo but zoomed in for the fantasy world, where it is zoomed in into the top of the spire. 


Live Action/ Chroma-Key -   For this I filmed my hands moving the camera up and down. I didn't really need much live action as I didn't want any of the body in it properly just the hands, so the audience is the woman trying to take the picture. I had to re shoot the footage because the first lot did not have enough lighting and wasn't shot from the right angle. 


Animation - For the animation I wanted it to look like a cartoon and not realistic. The point of it was to be looking at a fantasy world and I wanted this to be obvious to the audience. I also didn't want it to be too scary looking, I liked the stormy background and it being in black and white to give off a creepy atmosphere but I didn't want the gargoyle to be scary. He is a bright blue because as previously stated I wanted him to stand out and he is in a fantasy world and this matched this. 

To create the animation I started off just drawing the body and then once I was happy I would each feature one at a time. 

To put in into my composite I cut the animation and layered it so it would fly around the church. 

Final animation - https://vimeo.com/163804849



Added Touches - In the normal world, I blurred the church slightly so the camera and church were not the same focus as together they were to look at. I also added a shadow to the animation, which was tricky as some i=of it goes onto the clouds and I could not change this. In the fantasy world I chose to add some green screen footage of a camera screen to give it more of an affect of the audience looking through the camera. 


Sound - The sound I have talked about on a previous blog post. I chose some creepy music to add to the atmosphere and added a storm sound that you can hear when the gargoyle appears. 


Final Composite - 

https://vimeo.com/165581507



Evaluation -

I am very happy with the overall composite, I feel that the components go well together and I have achieved what I wanted to achieve. 

Things I could improve on  - 

the chroma key could of been better as I had top match up some of the arm as it cut off at a weird point.

I feel the church looks a little flat sometimes, like a still image and maybe I could have it from a different angle next time to make it have more depth. 

I could also next time shoot more stuff myself, like the clouds and the camera screen 

I could also work on the shadow of my gargoyle fixing it so it doesn't have a weird shadow in the sky. 

No comments:

Post a Comment