Tuesday 10 May 2016

Critical and Contextual Issues - Final Presentation

This is My Final Presentation

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_9Pf3R60qz_UjN0dGNja1ZBTWM


This is the notes I had with it for each slide - 

Slide 1 – title –
Why :
u  I chose to look into this topic as I am very interested in gender related topics
u  The female perspective
u  I chose to look into women portrayed in animations last year, and this year I wanted to look at women in the industry

Slide 2 - Structures of my essay

Slide 3 – History
started off by researching the 1940s/50s – and researching the social norms and gender roles –
I found that when America joined the war the women stepped up and took over some of the roles they wouldn’t normally have had
and society was fine with this until the men returned and they wanted their jobs back that they had to leave or society did not approve
it was the woman’s role to have dinner ready, look after the children, husband and household – this was the same for work – women only had ‘female’ related jobs, like a secretary, nurse
this slide is from a text book that was used in schools in the 1950’s

slide 4 this is what it looked like originally
this instilled from a young age that this is the only thing a woman should do, nothing else and that this is how to do it properly

slide 5 –
watch videos decide which one I will play

Slide 6
I used similar images in my essay to show how advertisements were portraying women in their homes cleaning and cooking as a normal, happy thing to do. There is nothing about working apart from the war and even then its sexist.

Similar to the textbook
It was everywhere that women had to act a certain way to marry a man and have a husband and children, otherwise she wouldn’t be happy

Slide 8
Compared to today’s society – although not completely different – there has been a massive difference in the amount of women that work
Risen from 18 million in 1950 to 66 million in 2000
in the 1950s there had been the Civil Rights Movement and the Women’s Rights Movement, that opened up opportunities for women to work out of their homes. Women were also being seen more of as equals to males in the political sector, which was an improvement compared to how it had been many years ago.
This has been due to
Women remained single more often.
• Of those who married, many did so later in life, and the
median age at first marriage increased substantially.
• Women elected to stay in school longer, achieving higher
educational attainment than in the past and pursuing
better paying careers.
• Women postponed childbirth to older ages and had fewer
children than in previous decades. As a result of improved
child care, women tended to enter the labor force even
before their children started school, and they were able
to maintain a longer job tenure than in previous periods.
• Women got divorced more often; this in itself increased
their labor force participation rate.11

slide 9 –
in the 1950s
women only could work in the inking and painting department
this is a rejection letter saying that women cannot become animators
walt didn’t like women to work in the other departments because they would get trained up and then leave to get married and this was all because of societies views on what women should do
“Each time they were beginning to get good they’ve quit to get married or something. So now he’s thumbs down on girl animators.” (Rae, Vanity Fair)
slide 10 – Rae was a women that while I research I can upon
While I was researching I found a post about ‘the girls’ (inkers and painter, it mentioned many women but specifically a woman called Rae (no last name).
Patricia Zohn writes about Disney’s ink-and-paint girls in this month’s Vanity Fair. She started researching the topic after speaking to her aunt, Rae Medby McSpadden, a former ink-and-paint artist. Most of the facts will be familiar to animation history buffs, but it’s a well-written slice-of-life piece that adds color to the bygone days:
From the picture you can see that shew did end up becoming an animator but she did only in 1966
After there was the changes I talked about in the last slide

Slide 11 – it was normal for the women to have significally less money than the male animators
Less wage – “new girls were still only making $18 per week while top animators made $300 per week.” (Zohn)
Hiring because they look healthy - “Marie Foley Justice found out later her application had noted her young, healthy looks, which, she quipped, indicated “They figured I could stand up under the over time”” (Zohn)
Worked hard - During Snow White, it was not at all unusual to see the “girls”–as Walt paternalistically referred to them–thin and exhausted, collapsed on the lawn, in the ladies’ lounge, or even under their desks. “I’ll be so thankful when Snow White is finished and I can live like a human once again,” Rae wrote after she recorded 85 hours in a week. “We would work like little slaves and everybody would go to sleep wherever they were,” said inker Jeanne Lee Keil, one of two left-handers in the department who had to learn everything backward. “I saw the moon rise, sun rise, moon rise, sun rise.” Painter Grace Godino, who would go on to become Rita Hayworth’s studio double, also remembered the long days merging into nights: “When I’d take my clothes off, I’d be in the closet, and I couldn’t figure it out: am I going to sleep or am I getting up?”

Slide 12 –
there is still not enough women in the industry and having leading roles
overall there maybe more women in the workforce but it is still not equal

women and men do not have equal pay







 For this presentation I tried to add things that I had researched around my subject and link it to my essay, I din't want to just copy my essay. The links I got some of the information off of are all on the presentation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment