Saturday 27 February 2016

Critical and Contextual Issues - My Break Down of Essay

How have Women's Roles in the Animation Industry changed over the years?


Introduction -
  • What the essay will be about
  • What I will be comparing in my essay

Chapter 1 -

  • I will look into the social norms of women's work roles in the 1930/40's - I was going to chose the 1950's but I wanted to see when women did not have many jobs. (How men didn't like them working with or for them; if they got married they would leave work; expected to look after the house and kids)
compare against

  • Social norms today  (still a struggle of equal rights today in some jobs but it is a lot different from back then.)

Chapter 2 -

  • Look specifically into the animation industry
  • how women's roles have changed (from painted cells - animating)
  • look into 1 company maybe (Disney)
  • get statistics
  • look at whether the social norms from chapter 1 affected this
  • when did it change for women

Chapter 3 -

  1. Looking at specific women:
  • Bianca Majolie - first woman hired for story department for Pinocchio
  • Retta Scott - first woman to animate for Disney - 'Bambi' - The dog chase scene
  • Marry Blair
  • Dorris Collins
to name a few I could look at

Summary -

I will summarise what I have spoken about in the rest of the essay and discuss how far the role has changed, whether it still has more to change.


Note -

I was going to discuss Lotte Reiniger but she was one of very few women who were animating wthout any trouble and where doing it themselves. For this essay I wanted to concentrate on the women sruggling in the big animation companies.


I am happy with my plan and I think it lays out clearly what I want to achieve for each section. I also think it flows nicely together and the structure is good. in the next couple of weeks I will start writing my first draft.


No comments:

Post a Comment